Hello and thanks for playing Volume! This is a regrettably necessary legal document we need to have which explains what you can (and cannot) do with our game Volume. Btw, ‘we’ means Mike Bithell Games Limited (we made Volume!) Here we go:
1. What this covers: this is a legally binding contract between us and you covering our video game Volume and any updates, patches, downloadable or additional content to it.
2. What you get: the personal right (known legally as a 'licence') to download, install and play Volume for your personal and non-commercial use.
3. We own our stuff: we own all of Volume and everything in it (including for example its code, graphics, audio, text, plot, characters, setting etc) plus all intellectual property rights in them. Please don’t use or distribute any of this without our permission.
4. What you can’t do: be reasonable, OK? In particular: follow these rules, don’t try to make money from Volume or use it commercially (Let’s Plays are OK though), don’t misuse our intellectual property rights, don’t hack or cheat or grief or say nasty or illegal things or other bad stuff like that.
5. User generated content: you can make user generated content for Volume, in particular user made levels. You own your original user generated content (and are responsible for it) but we’ll need some legal rights to actually distribute it via Volume. Our lawyer says that this means you need to give us an ‘irrevocable, permanent, royalty-free worldwide licence to use, modify, reproduce, create derivative works from, distribute, transmit, communicate and publicly display/perform the user generated content in connection with Volume’.
6. Other stuff: we may need to patch Volume from time to time to keep it working and updated. Feedback/suggestions are optional and welcome, but we’re not obliged to use it and we won’t owe you anything for it.
7. Data protection: Volume will not collect any personal information about you. Any personal information collected by our platform partners (such as Steam or PlayStation Network) and shared with us will be protected by both them and us under applicable data protection laws.
8. Please don’t break these rules: if you do, we reserve the right to terminate or suspend your access to our games and services.
9. Legal stuff: we will use reasonable skill and care in making Volume and providing it to you, but it’s available ‘as is’ and we don’t make promises about the standard or quality of it nor that it will be uninterrupted, error free or for any loss or damage that it may cause. Regarding the governing law and jurisdiction of this document and any dispute or issues regarding our games and services: if you are a consumer and live in the European Union, then the governing law and jurisdiction of your home member state applies; if you are a business or live anywhere else in the world, then exclusive English governing law and jurisdiction applies.
10. About us: we’re Mike Bithell Games Limited. Our address is Ground Floor, Pavilion View, 19 New Road, Brighton, East Sussex BN1 1UF, United Kingdom. You can get in touch with us at email@example.com.